What exactly is emergency contraception?
Crisis contraception can avoid maternity after non-safe sex or in the event the contraceptive method has failed – for example, a condom has split or perhaps you’ve missed a capsule.
There are two main kinds:
- The crisis contraceptive product (often called the after pill morning)
- The IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
There’s two types of crisis contraceptive capsule. Levonelle needs to be used within 72 hours (three times) of intercourse, and ellaOne has got to be studied within 120 hours (five times) of sex. Both pills work by preventing or delaying ovulation (release of an egg). Crisis contraception is better taken at the earliest opportunity to work.
The IUD may be inserted to your womb as much as five times after non-safe sex, or as much as five times following the time that is earliest you can have ovulated. It may stop an egg from being fertilised or implanting in your womb.
Crisis contraception will not sexually protect against sent infections (STIs).
Crisis contraception self-help gu Find away more info on ways to get crisis contraception and where you might get it.
At a look: information about crisis contraception
- Both kinds of crisis contraception work well at preventing maternity if they’re utilized right after non-safe sex. Lower than 1% of females whom utilize the IUD have a baby, whereas pregnancies following the emergency contraceptive supplement are not quite as uncommon. It’s thought that ellaOne is more effective than Levonelle.
- The earlier you are taking Levonelle or ellaOne, the greater effective it will be.
- Levonelle or ellaOne will make you’re feeling unwell, dizzy or tired, or provide you with a frustration, tender breasts or stomach discomfort.
- Levonelle or ellaOne will make your duration earlier in the day or later than usual.
- As you will need to take another dose or have an IUD fitted if you’re sick (vomit) within two hours of taking Levonelle, or three hours of taking ellaOne, seek medical advice.
- By using the IUD as crisis contraception, it could be kept in as your regular contraceptive technique.
- If you are using the IUD as a consistent approach to contraception, it may create your durations much longer, heavier or higher painful.
- You might feel some disquiet once the IUD is place in – painkillers can help alleviate this.
- There are not any s that are serious<